[ux_latest_products columns=”4″ title=”Check our Latest products!”]
Need a new theme for a movie night? Whether it’s a night for just two or a night full of friends, we’ve got you covered. Tonight’s movie is the motion picture “The Aviator” starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the crazy aviator Howard Hughes and this is your guide.
There’s no better way to start a party than with the sophistication and glamour of an old Hollywood party. As you may or may not know Howard Hughes didn’t only fly planes, he was a filmmaker back in the day, he dated many stars (such as Kate Hepburn and Ava Gardner) to boot. So throw a party that even Jack Warner would be proud of. Urge everyone to come dressed as their favorite Hollywood royalty. You could even send fun old-fashioned invitations if you don’t mind the little extra expense. A must have is a big band CD. There is nothing that will set the mood better for this film than that.
Since it is a sophisticated yet fun party, you will need lots of pink and sparkly champagne. Shirley Temples are a great idea for the non-alcoholic drinker. Alls you need do is get lots of cherry 7-Up. It will do the trick. Just make sure you get some maraschino cherries to put in the glasses.
Tonight’s dessert will be the delectably glamorous, yet fun duck cream puffs. It is a cute little dessert that goes with the flying element of the picture and yet brings in the old Hollywood. While they make look daunting to make, they are actually anything but. In fact, you can make these little babies ahead of time and put them in the fridge until serving. Here’s the recipe:
“The Aviator’s Duck Cream Puffs”*
Ingredients: 1/8 jar of strawberry jam, 4 eggs, ½ cup butter, 6.8 oz instant sugar free vanilla pudding, 1 cup water, ¼ tsp salt, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 3 and ½ cups milk, and confectioners’ sugar.
1) In a saucepan boil the butter, water, and salt on medium heat. Add flour, and stir until a smooth ball appears. Then remove from the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well and until smooth and shiny.
2) Cut a small hone in the corner of a Ziploc Storage bag. Fill the bag with batter on a 15 x 17 greased baking sheet. Make 3 dozen 1 inch long hook shapes, making a small dollop at the end for each duck head. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes (they are done when golden brown). Put on wire racks to cool.
3) On another greased baking sheet drop 36 level tablespoons of batter. Shape batter into teardrops. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (again they should be golden brown). Remove to wire racks.
4) Mix the milk with the pudding mix in a medium sized bowl for only 1 minute. Put the bowl covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
5) Cut off the top 1/3 of each puff. Remove any soft dough. Put the filling in the bottom of the puffs. Top with strawberry jam. Cut the tops in half lengthwise for wings. Set wings in filling. Place necks in the filling. Dust with sifted confectioners’ sugar.
6) Enjoy with all the glamour and sophistication you can muster.
Now it’s time to serve the little ducks and sit down to enjoy the moving picture. So, put in that DVD labeled “The Aviator” and let’s get started. I know that Leonardo Dicaprio is in this picture, but he is good, believe me. This movie has something everyone can enjoy: costumes, beautiful color, excellent actors, tragic drama, and a lot of excitement. What more is there to ask for? Here I have put down ten things you should watch for while watching this movie:
Likely Page Break1) Leonardo’s Butt-Didn’t see that one coming, even after I told you to watch for it. Tisk, tisk. Well, there it is in all its glory (along with him surrounded by jars of pee). Really attractive.
2) Really Scary Plane Accident-It’s scary….and not just make the kids turn their heads scary…it’s let’s all turn our heads scary. Kind of cool though…hey mom, look at all the blood.
3) Blinding Paparazzi Bulbs-Yeah, it hurts all those bulbs flashing. I’d look away but I don’t want to miss a part.
4) Kate Hepburn-Okay, we all know Cate Blanchett could even play a dog and make it look real. Even though she doesn’t play a dog, we believe she is Kate until the end (although she hardly looks like her).
5) The Terribly Dirty Janitor Guy-Even I would get obsessive compulsive just looking at the guy. I mean did you see his nails? Ick.
6) The Fantastically Huge Court Trial-Every good movie has a stand out speech that makes you cry, cheer, and root for the crazy guy. Need I say more? That’s one more point for the little guy!
7) Gwen Stefani’s Two Lines-Listen to the two lines and be not amazed. While she looks the part I am glad they stuck with the two lines.
8) Crazy Big Band Singer-I am amazed at the huge amount of energy this guy has. It should have been an award winning performance. It makes you laugh so hard that you can’t see straight. In a weird way, it’s so funny that it’s right.
9) Clothes Burning Bonfire-This is the craziest bonfire scene I have ever seen. The music is crazy, but it still makes me want to join Hughes and burn all the clothes. Until you realize you are in front of a room naked with no clothes. That’s embarrassing!
10) When He Tells His Date Not To Eat Too Much Ice Cream- The whole thing gives me the creeps. The title of this one should give you the creeps too. How old is that girl? Really freaky, and I don’t want to know.
Well, with all this advice your movie night will be the talk of the town. Everyone will be talking about ducks and crazy people until next year. A job well done!
*Recipe’s base is from Taste Of Home and then I molded it from there.
write by Thekla